Friday, December 18, 2009

Calamity Jack, Set Your Gift-cards to "Purchase"

As you know, CALAMITY JACK (sequel to the Eisner-Nominated RAPUNZEL REVENGE, in case you forgot) is coming out January 5th. Now, I've been cranky about this release date for some time now. I thought it was a terrible time to release a book, two weeks after Christmas. But I was wrong.

Earlier this week I was hanging out with a bunch of writers (at that "Authorpalooza" thing I mentioned Tuesday.) I was told, by MAZE RUNNER author James Dashner, that two weeks after Christmas is a FANTASTIC time to release a book. (James has one coming out the same time) Can you guess why?

Gift cards.

Everybody gets gift cards at Christmas, and a very high number of them are for bookstores. So, once again, I've discovered I know very little about the ways of publishing.

So remember, if you get a bookstore gift card this Christmas, it's like getting a copy of CALAMITY JACK. Also, if you read this post, you are now required by law to buy a copy. You can't use your gift cards for anything else. Robo-Santa is watching. Even after Christmas--especially the two weeks after Christmas.

{UPDATE: I've been given a stern reprimand in the comments section, it was Jessica Day George, author of PRINCESS OF THE MIDNIGHT BALL, and the DRAGON SLIPPERS/FLIGHT/(upcoming) SPEAR series, who gave me this information, as well as James. Sorry Jessica, you are right, you told me about the gift card/week after Xmas thing. Now that I think about it, James may have just stood by and nodded. I just didn't want to get TOO carried away with the name dropping. I know Jessica Day George and James Dashner--how 'bout that?}

6 comments:

pussreboots said...

Woohoo! Calamity Jack will be my first book purchase of 2010.

Leea said...

Done & Done.

Allison Madsen said...

I have mine preordered too!

Anonymous said...

Excuse me? EXCUSE ME? DASHNER told you this? I seem to recall soothing your fragile nerves and explaining that when I worked in a bookstore, the first two weeks after Christmas were considered the sweet spot for releases. But as usual, Dashner gets all the credit! And after I bought him dinner, too!

Heather Zundel said...

Wow, some unknown force is calling me to the bookstore. It's pulling and I can't resist it...

Enna Isilee said...

*sigh* No gift cards yet. But my Christmas doesn't end until the 27th, so I hold out hope!