Thursday, September 25, 2008

Yellowbelly Day!

September 24th was Yellowbelly Day! I didn't know it was going to be Yellowbelly Day, but that's the way it turned out. I visited Hayden Peak Elementary School and did a presentation about being an illustrator. Yellowbelly came along to help me out. He was there in my Powerpoint presentation.
Here he is teaching kindergartners about Damien Hirst (but not too much about Damien Hirst.) This part of the presentation was about the differences between Fine Art and Illustration. Kids love that wacky diamond skull.
He even made an appearance in LEGO form. Look at him go!
Don't ask about LEGO Plum--do you have any idea how rare purple LEGO bits are? (I'll have to make him out of blue.) Who should I try next? The red robot kid? The others might be too tricky.

The school librarians at Hayden Peak had been reading Yellowbelly and Plum Go To School during library time over the past week. So when I got there and started talking Yellowbelly, the kids went INSANE. It was great to see some love for the furry yellow guy.

It was tons of fun. And a nice break from the 24/7 CALAMITY JACK ink-o-thon.

3 comments:

Erin said...

LEGO Rapunzel!! ;)

Nathan said...

I accept your challenge...
...but I'll need awhile.
How to do the hair....?

Enna Isilee said...

Hm... that could be quite a conundrum. Maybe... LEGO Jack? If you happen to have the LEGO STAR WARS set you can use Luke Skywalker's hair. Just take it off and paint it dark brown.