Monday, August 25, 2008

Scarry! Richard Scarry!

I've been thinking a lot about Richard Scarry. He was one of my favorite author/illustrators growing up. My next picture book is called BEAR NAKED, it is rooted in a very Scarry-like city. Animals with jobs, running around, busy busy. Here's a little taste of what's to come in BEAR NAKED. As you can probably guess from the title, the hero of the story loses his clothes. Which is a terrible thing when you are a polar bear.


I want it to look like Richard Scarry's Busy, Busy world in real life, with real animals wearing clothes. We'll see how it goes. BEAR NAKED is slated for release in '10. "TEN." Isn't that weird to say? Not 'O Ten. Just TEN.

I found this clip on YouTube, of the Scarry animals singing a Beastie Boys song. I'm surprised how well it fits, it feels right at home somehow. So bust it out Huckle Cat!



3 comments:

Julie Olson said...

I LOVE IT!!! Richard Scarry was one of my favs too. I always loved to look for Lowly worm in his apple. I could look at those busy pictures for hours. Can't wait to see yours.

Erin said...

Wanna know something WAY COOL? which I am so excited to tell you? here goes: I PROBABLY GET TO MEET YOU! I will (hopefully, if all goes well, that is) be at your and Shannon and Dean's October 11th signing in Bountiful!

I CAN'T WAIT. :D

anne said...

Hi Nathan! We sent you a fan letter a couple of years ago (which you so nicely answered), and The Devil You Know is still one of our favorite regular reads. We just found your blog, and we'll be ordering your other books -- very excited about them.

By the way, Suley is a big fan of Richard Scarry *and* the Beastie Boys -- the Sure Shot video is one of his Youtube favorites.

Hi from all of us & can't wait to get the new ones!